Ok so maybe I’m nesting or maybe I’m just the girl who gets Spring Cleaning Fever a tad later in the year, but either way, I’m full-throttle into cleaning, re-organizing, purging and de-cluttering mode.
I’d say decorating but really I don’t think this counts as there is no furniture involved (if I could afford to, I’d completely decorate and furnish the front living room, replace or reupholster the dining room table set and also get a buffet piece for in there, and buy a king mattress for the master…..but we have to focus on the nursery and the new guest room first).
So anyway, here’s what I’ve been up to the past couple of weekends around the house in preparations for Baby Irvin’s arrival:
1) Spruce up the backyard. Check.
2) Begin the transition from guest room to baby room. Meaning, EMPTY CLOSET, RELOCATE ITEMS, FIND SPOT FOR THEM ELSEWHERE IN HOUSE. Also know as… closet re-organizing mania. See pictures.
To get to where I could empty the closet, I had to relocate my entire linen storage (it was previously in the guest room), relocate my golf clothes, and soft shells and sweatshirts; and I took the opportunity to purge items I didn’t need or use and could donate. Here’s a peek at my new linen closet and more … spiffy with labels and all!
3) Deep clean the entire house.
4) Tidy. De-clutter. Re-arrange knick-knacks.
5) Finally frame some wedding photos after 5 years (instead of buying new frames like I wanted to, I re-used some boring-but-satisfactory frames I found in a box from my college townhouse.
6) Organize and decorate the office built-in in our master bedroom. For the past two years, it’s been a wasteland of clean and dirty laundry, new and old mail, a to-shred mail pile, a to-file mail pile, dog toys, random cords to electronics, etc. A MESS. AND MY WORST NIGHTMARE. Finally, I cleared it all off. Sorted, shredded, cleaned, filed, and headed to Target to buy some cute desk accessories. Here’s the end result of that over-due project (sorry no before photo!):
Now, the next two projects on my brain are….
1) Paint the mud room and decorate it. (No picture, sorry). Ever since we got broken into and the door had to be replaced…no, scratch that…ever since we moved in and I’ve had to live with this weird wallpaper that you’d have to see to understand, I’ve been waiting to paint over it. We will be DIY painting over wallpaper … stay tuned for the post!
2) Renovate and customize our media cabinet in the main living room – aka, the blue room – to fit modern TVs and such. We’ve been talking about doing this since we moved in too and now I’m super motivated to get this eye-sore of a TV stand from our college days out of the house and off the floor, so Baby Irvin has more room to spread out and play. And so mama and dada can buy a 70″ TV haha! Ok, that’ll actually have to wait a while but it’s def. in my future plans for this room too.
Impressive! Wish you would come re-organize my closets. And about those frames. I actually like boring ones because your eyes are drawn to the pictures rather than to the frames. Thanks for sharing all these inspirational pics! http://ohtheplaceswesee.com
Thanks Rusha! Good point about the frames actually. Didn’t think about that. I am ready to take on the world right now at the house … MUST BE NESTING! hahaha #somuchtodo #eek
Isn’t it great to get rid of stuff you no longer use, and put order to things. Here is a sheet hint: Take the whole set and put inside one pillowcase. Then, when you are ready to make a bed; you just grab the pillow case and off you go. You don’t have to dig through the pile to figure out what goes with what!
oooooooh what a fabulous tip! love that!!!! thanks so much!!!
Pingback: Painting the Nursery: DIY Striped Wall Before & After | mrs. & the misc.
Pingback: Nesting in Progress: Media Cabinet Remodel | mrs. & the misc.