So the last couple days its been on and off rain, here in Dallas. I personally prefer the weather change to sunshine, but am probably in the select few. Pulling on my green Chameau’s, I ventured over to the grocery store to buy: butter & chicken broth for this amazing homemade pot pie recipe I found in a 2012 Southern Living. (I’d love to say the recipe has “been in the family”, but I’m all about giving cred’s where they belong). Although the original recipe feeds up to 8 people, I have cut most ingredients in half, and added additional spices where needed, thus making it feed 4-5. Your family, or just the two of you, will LOVE this. Make sure and keep leftovers for the next nights dinner!
HANDS on time: 50 minutes. TOTAL time: 1 hr. 30 minutes
First Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie Filling.
The second: Homemade Cheddar & Bacon Biscuits that are placed on top of the Pot Pie Filling and then Baked.
Chicken Pie Filling:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 and 2/3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 of large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup of frozen cubed hash browns
- 1/2 cup chopped or shredded/matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen small sweet peas
- Preheat oven to 425
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add all purpose flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 4 to 6 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in Creole seasoning and salt. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 2nd large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and mushrooms, and saute 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in already shredded/cooked chicken, and next 4 ingredients.
5. After completely stirring sauce with chicken/vegetable mixture…Spoon filling into lightly greased baking dish and set to side. You are now ready to start on your biscuits.
Homemade Bacon-Cheddar Biscuits
- 1/4 cup cold butter that has been cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked bacon
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Cut 1/4 cup cold butter into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Put them into a bowl holding 1 cup of self-rising flour. Blend with a fork until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas.
- Add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup finely chopped bacon, 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives and 1/2 cup whipping cream. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. DO NOT over stir.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 3 to 4 times. Roll or pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter (I just used a water glass- around the rim! lol) to form 6-8 biscuits.
- Bake Chicken Pie Filling at 425 for 15 minutes
- Remove from Oven, and arrange biscuits on top of hot chicken mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 more minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and chicken mixture is bubbly.
- Now, ENJOY