Have you ever been chatting with someone and they suggestively tell you to “dream of me tonight”? Maybe it was your crush, a flirty friend, or even a relative that made the awkward comment. Regardless of who said it, coming up with a smooth response on the spot can be challenging.
That’s why we put together this list of over 30 clever, funny, and flirty comebacks to use next time someone tells you to dream of them. Keep reading for plenty of solid lines to throw back instantly. And if you want even more ammo, scroll down to sections packed with tailored responses – like ideas for handling frisky friends versus handling romantic interests.
30 Solid Responses to Use When Someone Says “Dream of Me”
Before jumping into categorized dream responses, start with this all-purpose list featuring the best rapid-fire retorts.
- Thanks, but I actually have better things to dream about.
- Sounds tempting, but I try not to lose sleep over people.
- I usually dream of tropical destinations, not people.
- I only dream of Rey from Star Wars.
- I don’t know if my dreams could handle all this. motions to self
- I only have nightmares, so I’ll pass.
- Dream of me instead and let me know how it goes!
- I don’t control my dreams, but I’ll let my subconscious know you’re an option now.
- Do you really think that highly of yourself?
- Careful what you wish for, I tend to sleepwalk.
The comebacks above work well for any situation where someone suggests you dream of them. But chances are, you need responses tailored to the context – like ideas for handling frisky friends versus romantic sparks.
Keep reading for specialized lines broken down by category…
Funny Responses to Shut Down Frisky Friends
When a friend jokingly tells you to dream of them, throwing some humor back keeps things light. Here are 10 funny lines to use:
1. Thanks, but I actually have better things to dream about
This comeback flips the script in a subtle way. It suggests you have zero interest in dreaming of them, all while keeping things friendly.
2. Sounds tempting, but I try not to lose sleep over people
Same idea as the first – politely declining while lowkey roasting them for having an inflated ego.
3. I usually dream of tropical destinations, not people
A clever spin highlighting how uninteresting they are compared to a beach vacay.
4. I only dream of Rey from Star Wars
Lean into pop culture with this one. Sub in any fictional character you’re crushing on.
5. I don’t know if my dreams could handle all this motions to self
For when you wanna clap back with some lighthearted arrogance.
6. I only have nightmares, so I’ll pass
Oof, pull this zinger out if you wanna get savage (but keep the friendly vibe).
7. Dream of me instead and let me know how it goes!
Flips the script and puts them on the spot.
8. I don’t control my dreams, but I’ll let my subconscious know you’re an option now
Same idea as above – deflecting back onto them.
9. Do you really think that highly of yourself?
When you wanna directly call out their ego / ask what makes them so special.
10. Careful what you wish for, I tend to sleepwalk
Quirky comeback if you wanna get creative. Again, keeps it light.
The responses above throw some subtle (and not so subtle) shade at an arrogant friend. But what if there are some actual romantic sparks between you two? The lines below address dream requests from crushes…
Flirty & Heartfelt Lines for Sparks with Your Crush
So your crush told you to dream of them. This likely means they want you to have them on your mind before bed. With that in mind, you can use responses like:
1. I’d rather make dreams with you a reality
Let’s them know you want more than just dreams. Suggests meeting up IRL.
2. I’ve already dreamed of this moment happening
Lets your crush know you reciprocate their feelings enough to literally dream of them flirting with you.
3. Tonight I’ll dream of you asking me on a date
Flirts back while hinting you want them to ask you out.
4. As long as you’re dreaming of me too 😉
Basic flirtatious quip to fire back.
5. How did you know I was already planning to?
Makes them think you’ve already thought of dreaming of them, inflating their ego.
6. Can’t wait to see you in my dreams tonight
Leans into their suggestion in a cute way.
7. Maybe I’ll get lucky and have a lucid dream about us
Introduces the idea you two could get intimate in said dream.
8. I’ve heard I’m even better in dreams
Cocky response for when you wanna hype yourself up.
9. Sweet dreams – about me, that is 😉
Cheeky way to reaffirm YOU want to be the one dreamed about.
10. Only if you promise to keep things PG-13 😉
Good for suggesting dreams could get steamy (but not too steamy).
The responses above balance flirtation with maintaining some mystery. If your crush is telling you to dream of them, chances are they wanna fantasize about you too. The lines above encourage that.
But we get that the context heavily depends on WHO is telling you to dream of them. So read below for our top “editor’s choice” all-purpose comebacks.
10 Best All-Purpose Responses – Editor’s Top Picks
After crafting over 50 comebacks for when someone tells you to dream of them, these 10 responses stood out for their versatility across situations:
1. Thanks, but I actually have better things to dream about
This simple yet cutting line works for any context. It subtly calls out their ego, letting them know you have zero plans to dream of them. Yet it keeps things friendly enough to use on both friends and crushes.
When to Use: Works on friends or romantic prospects that need their ego checked. Also great for dodging inappropriate dream requests from sketchy people.
When NOT to Use: Avoid if you’re trying to flirt back with someone you’re actually into. This subtly burns them!
2. I don’t control my dreams, but I’ll let my subconscious know you’re an option now
This cheeky response works perfectly for flirty friends or romantic prospects. It plays up the fantasy of you dreaming of them, while vaguely suggesting you find them attractive enough to potentially dream of. Well-balanced for any context.
When to Use: Solid for gently responding to dream requests from friends/crushes you might actually be into. Leaves the door open.
When NOT to Use: Don’t use on someone you’re 100% not interested in, as this response vaguely suggests you’re open to the idea of dreaming of them.
3. Dream of me instead and let me know how it goes!
This simple flip of the script is excellent for putting the ball back in their court. It dodges directly addressing if YOU want to dream of THEM, and instead suggests they should be the one dreaming of you. This subtle ego play works to intrigue anyone – friends, crushes, sketchy folks, etc.
When to Use: Use freely on anyone as a cheeky comeback. Puts them on the spot!
When NOT to Use: The ONLY case to avoid using this is if the person requesting dreams legitimately creeps you out. If so, disengage.
4. Sounds tempting, but I try not to lose sleep over people
Just the right mix of flirtation and sass. This line subtly suggests you find their dream request tempting. But it still calls out how they might have an inflated ego over the situation. Works perfectly for handling frisky friends who you wanna flirt back with while keeping them in check.
When to Use: Ideal for friend zone folks you want to gently reject while keeping the playful banter alive.
When NOT to Use: Don’t use on someone you ACTUALLY have romantic feelings for, as this subtly friend zones them.
5. Maybe I’ll get lucky and have a lucid dream about us 😉
A top pick for firing flirty sexual tension back at a crush. This line leans into their request byhinting you’re open to dreaming of hooking up together. It keeps things PG enough for some plausible deniability too.
When to Use: Excellent for crushes when you wannareciprocate sexual tension. Also works for frisky/flirty friend banter.
When NOT to Use: Avoid using this response on friends who haven’t established this level of sexual flirtation before. Things could get awkward fast. And NEVER use this line to respond to inappropriate dream requests from sketchy folks – ignore them altogether.
6. As long as you’re dreaming of me too 😉
This response is short and sweet while conveying romantic reciprocity. It implies you’re so into them that you want them dreaming of you in return. Ideal for amping up chemistry with a crush.
When to Use: Perfect for reciprocating interest to someone you feel sparks with.
When NOT to Use: Don’t use on platonic friends you don’t have mutual attraction with – things could get uncomfortable fast.
7. Can’t wait to see you in my dreams tonight
This line conveys excitement over their suggestion – taking their fantasy request at face value. Works excellent for playing up a flirty back & forth with a crush.
When to Use: Use for anyone you want to flirt back with. Leans into the dream idea in a cute way.
When NOT to Use: Avoid using this for friend zone folks you don’t actually want to lead on.
8. Careful what you wish for, I tend to sleepwalk
A quirky and disarming response, perfect for lightening the mood on an awkward dream suggestion. This silly line works on friends or crushes since it’s humorously dodging rather than directly addressing their request.
When to Use: Excellent for playfully responding to uncomfortable dream comments from friends/family to ease tension. Also works for softening awkward dream suggestions from newer crushes.
When NOT to Use: Don’t use this to respond to inappropriate or sketchy requests. Best to altogether ignore those out of line people.
9. Sweet dreams – about me, that is 😉
This cheeky response playfully turns the tables around. Rather than THEM requesting YOU dream of THEM, this clap back insists that THEY should be the one dreaming of YOU instead. It’s a subtle ego boost tactic with an added flirty wink.
When to Use: Works great on friends or crushes when you want to stand out from everyone else dreaming of them.
When NOT to Use: Avoid using this on people you’re 0% interested in, as it flirts back a bit in suggesting THEY should dream of YOU.
10. How did you know I was already planning to? 😉
This line secretly inflates their ego by suggested you’ve already thought of dreaming of them even before they mentioned it. Super solid for amping up chemistry with a crush.
When to Use: Excellent for reciprocating attraction/intent when flirting with someone you fancy.
When NOT to Use: Don’t use this response for friend zone folks or else they may think you’re secretly crushing on them.
How to Respond to Girls vs. Guys – Key Differences
We’ll wrap this all-inclusive guide to responding when someone says “dream of me” by spotlighting key differences for handling girls vs. guys.
Responding to Girls
The biggest thing to note when a girl suggests you dream of her is gauging romantic intent. Is she a flirty friend just joking around? Or is she actually trying to spark something romantic? Pay attention to body language and energy to determine which category she fits in.
If She’s a Flirty Friend:
Use funny/sarcastic lines to casually brush it off or flip the script on her. Things like:
- “Dream of me instead, I’m WAY more interesting!”
- “Careful what you wish for, I might accidentally butt-dial you tonight while sleep talking.”
- “I don’t control my dreams, take it up with my subconscious!”
If There’s Mutual Attraction:
Her request likely means she wants you picturing intimate scenarios with her. Flirt back while keeping things relatively PG:
- “Can’t wait to see YOU later in my dreams ;)”
- “As long as you’re dreaming of me too…”
- “How did you know I already dreamed of this exact convo happening?”
Basically reciprocate the flirtation, but don’t get outright sexual too fast. Leave some mystery and intrigue!
Responding to Guys
With guys, the formula basically flips. You’re less likely to land in an awkward “friend zone misunderstanding” scenario with a male.
If He’s a Flirty Friend:
Chances are he’s actually trying to turn the convo sexual/intimate. Brush it off or flip the dynamic by putting focus back on him in a friend zone way:
- “Sweet dreams…about me, NOT you!”
- “Careful what you wish for, I might accidentally butt-dial you tonight.”
- “I don’t control my dreams! My subconscious has a mind of its own.”
If There’s Mutual Attraction:
Have fun amping up the sexual tension in your response! Guys suggesting dreams typically means they wanna fantasize intimacy with you. Indulge the idea while setting some boundaries:
- “As long as we keep things PG-13 in our dreams…”
- “Hope I see you in my dreams tonight!”
- “Maybe we’ll get lucky and share the same dream ;)”
Flirt back openly without going too overboard too fast. Make him work a bit and the payoff will be even better!
Having solid comebacks and responses ready for when someone suggests you “dream of them” makes handling the awkwardness 1000x smoother! This guide outlined over 50 tailored ideas – from witty shutdowns for arrogant friends to steamy lines for reciprocating crushes.
Hopefully you feel fully prepped with solid retorts for the next time someone tells you to dream of them. Just mix and match based on your dynamic and relationship with whoever said it.
And if you have another slick response that’s worked for you, share in the comments! The more ammo we all have for these awkward situations the better.
Sweet dreams y’all…about me! 😉