Have a good day. A simple phrase we likely hear multiple times a day. While the sentiment is nice, hearing the same generic platitude can get old. I used to just politely thank people when they told me to have a good day.
But after an encounter with a particularly grumpy barista one morning, I started wishing for some more interesting responses. That experience made me realize the potential fun to be had with this otherwise dull farewell phrase.
So below I’ve compiled over 30 witty, funny, snarky, and flirty ways to respond when someone tells you to have a nice day. If you want to mix things up and catch people off guard with your reaction to this common phrase, keep reading!
30 Ways to Respond to “Have a Good Day”
Tired of the usual boring reactions when someone wishes you a nice day? Want to mix things up and deliver a funny zinger instead? Then the responses below are for you! From childish comebacks to overly literal interpretations, these 10 funny ways to react to “have a good day” are sure give people a chuckle.
10 Funny Ways to Respond
Before jumping in, keep in mind that tone and delivery are everything when trying to be funny. Make sure to really sell these playful responses with exaggerated emotions, impressions, sarcasm, or whatever comedic flair you can muster!
- Gasp loudly and dramatically But I wanted to have a bad day!
- Well now I’m definitely going to have an awful day just for spite! said in a petulant, pouty tone
- Wow, I was already having the worst day ever until you said that! act like they just lifted your spirits in the most dramatic, unbelievable fashion
- But what if I want this to be the worst day ever? complete with a whiny, childish stamp of your foot
- Make me! shouted belligerently like a stubborn toddler for maximum comedic effect
- You can’t tell me what to do! bonus points for adding a raspberry sound at the end
- I make no promises, but I’ll try. deadpan delivery makes this response even funnier
- Don’t jinx me! I was already on track for an amazing day until you said that! act utterly crushed that their words potentially doomed your day
- A simple “goodbye” would have sufficed, but thanks. dry sarcasm recommended for delivery
- I don’t take orders from strangers! channel an edgy teenager for extra laughs
As you can see, going over-the-top in your reactions and tones can take an otherwise boring farewell phrase and turn it into something hilarious.
So try out a funny voice, embrace your inner drama queen, get defiant like a grumpy child, or unleash that sarcastic teen spirit! Just make sure to commit 100% for maximum laughs. Dare to look ridiculous and have fun surprising people with an totally unexpected response when they innocuously tell you to “have a nice day!”
Perhaps you aren’t in the mood for playful antics when someone thoughtlessly tells you to enjoy your day. If you want to serve up some scathing snark instead, the savage comebacks below will get the job done!
10 Brutal Ways to Retort
These brutally blunt clap backs are perfect when you just can’t with the fake niceties and mindless platitudes from clueless strangers. Read on for 10 deliciously evil ways to retaliate when told to “have a nice day!”
- I was until you reminded me some people are brainwashed into spouting polite nonsense they don’t even mean. deadpan delivery drives home just how over social customs you are
- Don’t tell me what to do! barking it like an angry drill sergeant will sure scare them off from daring to command you again!
- Make me! a childishly defiant response bursting with teenage angst always does the trick
- I make no promises… trail off with an icy glare to really drive home your refusal to follow their inane instructions on how to spend YOUR day
- Too late, already having an awful one thanks for jinxing me! be sure to glare daggers at them for ruining any shot at enjoyment you previously had
- I was until you reminded me some people still think platitudes like that make up for their complete lack of human decency. This biting retort definitely calls them out!
- Cute…but your thoughtless greeting doesn’t make up for how you treated me earlier. Remind them of their previous rude behavior for extra shame!
- I’m sure you believe wishing strangers well makes up for totally ignoring that homeless man asking for change earlier. Exposing their hypocrisy is oh so satisfying!
- I was already planning an amazing day until your false cheeriness ruined it, but thanks! Make sure your sarcasm drips with disdain when delivering this line.
- I’d rather we skip the polite bullshit, but enjoy your day I guess. Vulgarity and disgusted indifference is sure to offend. Perfect!
So next time you’re stuck listening to some clueless dolt prattle off social niceties without an empathetic or sincere bone in their body, hit them where it hurts with one of these creatively cruel replies! A perfectly timed verbal smackdown definitely beats a polite smile when dealing with infuriating fools.
Tired of boring pleasantries getting thrown your way by boring people? Then spice things ups by responding flirtatiously instead!
10 Saucy Ways to Reply
The cheeky come-ons below are sure to throw people off balance and maybe even score you a date if you play your cards right! Check out these 10 flirty ways to respond when wished a nice day:
- I sure will now that a cutie like you told me to! flash those bedroom eyes for added effect
- Anything for you sweetheart! lay the sugary pet names on thick
- I’ll do my best baby! bonus points if you add a wink or air kiss
- It’s definitely getting better now that we’re talking.. trail off meaningfully while holding their gaze
- I already am now that I met you! amp up the charm factor with a smooth vocal delivery
- I’ll try, but it would be even nicer if you joined me! casually drop that invitation and await their tantalized response
- Oh it certainly will be after our chat! hint that you expect their engaging company for the rest of your day
- I make no promises, but I’ll do my very best just for you! accompany this cheeky promise with an exaggerated flirty smile
- Why yes, yes I will handsome stranger! ham it up with your most dramatic delivery to really lay on the playful romantic charm
- I sure hope YOU have a good one so I can see that cute smile again soon! Shamelessly dole out compliments and hint at future plans in one go
There you have it – 10 devilishly charming responses guaranteed to break the monotonous cycle of dry niceties! Now get out there and test these cheeky comebacks on unsuspecting hotties. You never know what fun flirtations or romantic opportunities might unfold when you respond playfully to “have a nice day!”
10 Editor’s Choice Best Responses
If you’re looking for some absolute ace replies to the boring old “have a good day” platitude that are sure to impress, then check out our picks for the 10 best responses below!
1. Why yes, yes I will have a splendid day! Thanks ever so kindly for the well wishes, dear sir!
Use When: You want to amusingly mock polite superficial social customs with an exaggerated posh persona.
Don’t Use When: You need a serious or genuine response. This over-the-top pretentious reaction is strictly for comedic effect to throw people off balance with an unexpected comeback.
2. It’s definitely getting better now that we’re talking.. trail off meaningfully while holding their gaze
Use When: You want to flirt and imply potential further conversation/plans with the responder.
Don’t Use When: You aren’t interested in flirting or implying romantic intentions. Save this for targets you are looking to connect with on a dating level.
3. Wow, wish granted! This is now officially a great day! Say it like you truly believe their words alone made your day better.
Use When: You want an amusingly over-the-top sincere reaction feigning that their well wishes single-handedly improved your mood.
Don’t Use When: You are looking for a genuine thankful response. This dramatized reply is meant to humorously mock the notion that a random stranger’s perfunctory “have a nice day” platitude could truly impact your overall happiness or satisfaction with your day.
4. I was already having a lovely day until you reminded me some people still think platitudes like that make up for their complete lack of human decency.
Use When: Someone has previously wronged you and you want to call out their feeble attempt to smooth things over with an empty greeting.
Don’t Use When: The person has not actually offended you beforehand. This brutal quip calls out and shames their falsely friendly facade.
5. Make me! shouted belligerently like a stubborn toddler for maximum comedic effect
Use When: You want to amuse yourself and others by committing 100% to an exaggerated defiant, bratty kid response to mock the commanding nature of their farewell.
Don’t Use When: You need to offer sincere thanks or acknowledge the sentiment behind the goodbye. This stubborn comeback is strictly for earning laughs at the expense of the command itself.
6. Anything for you sweetheart! lay the sugary pet names on thick
Use When: You wish to respond in a flirty manner and don’t mind coming on a bit strong with the interest/enthusiasm.
Don’t Use When: You want to let them down easy. This gushing reply hints at existing affection between you and the person, so avoid using it if you aren’t interested in them romantically.
7. Too late, already having an awful one thanks for jinxing me! be sure to glare daggers at them for ruining any shot at enjoyment you previously had
Use When: Someone has irritated you already and this is a clever way to express annoyance at their poorly-timed parting words sabotaging any chance of happiness/productivity for the rest of your day.
Don’t Use When: You have no legitimate gripes with the person. This retort sarcastically implies they directly sabotaged your mood/outlook, so should really only be deployed against genuine offenders.
8. Well now I’m definitely going to have an awful day just for spite! said in a petulant, pouty tone
Use When: You wish to dramatically feign choosing to have a horrible day simply out of defiance of their instruction to enjoy yourself. Great for sarcastic humor.
Don’t Use When: You want to genuinely acknowledge the well meaning intent behind the sentiment. This stubborn reply mocks the notion that you should follow orders from random acquaintances on how to spend your day.
9. Wow, I was already having the worst day ever until you said that! act like they just lifted your spirits in the most dramatic, unbelievable fashion
Use When: You want an amusingly exaggerated cheerful reaction that pretends their perfunctory goodbye single-handedly improved your mood from utterly awful to great.
Don’t Use When: You need a sincere thank you. This over-the-top response mocks the very idea that such a trite valediction could have that much emotional impact.
10. Why yes, yes I will handsome stranger! ham it up with your most dramatic delivery to really lay on the playful romantic charm
Use When: You wish to respond in an exaggerated, performative manner to signal romantic interest/availability and gauge if they reciprocate interest.
Don’t Use When: You are not actually interested in them. This gushing reply hints at attraction, so avoid deploying it unless you want to encourage romantic advances.
Here is the fourth part of the article with 1,018 words:
How to Reply to a Girl
So a girl just casually wished you a nice day and you want to impress her with more than just a boring thanks. Check out the best responses below tailored specifically for females you want to intrigue.
Top 10 Ways to Respond to a Girl
Make her smile, let her know you’re interested, or surprise her with an unexpected yet charming comeback with these smooth replies:
- I sure will now that a cutie like you told me to! flash those bedroom eyes for added effect
- Why yes, yes I will! I always aim to please pretty ladies like yourself! ham it up with your most dramatic gentlemanly delivery
- Anything for you darling! bonus points if you pretend to tip a hat or add a flirty wink
- It already is now that we’re talking, beautiful! pile on those charm points
- For you sweetheart, I will have the best day ever! channel your cheesiest rom-com leading man vibe
- I’ll do my very best to have a lovely day, but it would be even nicer if you joined me! casually drop that tempting invitation
- I’m suddenly feeling like this is going to be the greatest day thanks to crossing paths with a charmer like you! lay on the flattery nice and thick
- I make it a goal to always have the most fantastic day possible in order to spread positive energy to stunning ladies such as yourself! corny but charismatic line sure to intrigue
- Well now, I think my day just got significantly better after such an engaging interlude with a mesmerizing mademoiselle like you! pull out all fancy stops for this dramatic remark bound to impress
- For YOU I will strive to have the most splendiferous day humanly possible, m’lady! tip your imaginary fedora for the full comedic gentleman effect
Now get out there and make some lucky ladies swoon with these playful yet intriguing comebacks!
How to Reply to a Guy
So a dude just nonchalantly told you to enjoy this fine day. Amp up the banter and surprise him with a clever flirty retort from the list below!
Top 10 Ways to Respond to a Guy
Catch his eye, hint at shared attraction, or just amuse each other with these winning responses:
- Anything for you handsome! pile on the suggestive compliments
- With charm like yours, it’s definitely going to be a good one! ellipses trail off hinting at shared chemistry
- Oh it certainly will be after meeting a charmer like you! not so subtle suggestion to continue the engaging chatter
- It already is now that we’re talking, hot stuff! let him know directly you find him attractive
- For a hottie like you, I will most DEFINITELY have an amazing day! lay the flattery on thick while also paying a coy compliment
- How could I not enjoy it after such a nice interlude with a stud like you? let him know his presence alone boosted your mood
- Believe me sexy, my day is looking up thanks to you! straight to the point alluring messaging
- I make it a priority to always enjoy my days in case I run into charming strangers like yourself! polite yet flirtatious
- Well now, I must say you just significantly increased the chances of this day being a truly good one! tempting teaser phrasing implying you’d like to see him again
- Wow handsome, so chivalrous of you! How could I not have a lovely day after such a thoughtful parting remark from a dashing gent like yourself! ham up the dramatics to amuse and entice simultaneously
More Relevant Questions
What’s a good comeback when someone says have a nice day?
If you’re bored with politely responding “you too”, mix it up with playful comebacks like:
- Don’t tell me what to do!
- Will do, thanks for the permission!
- I’ll try my best, but no promises!
- Can’t you come up with something more original?
- Make me!
- That’s the plan!
- I intend to, not that you actually care.
- Wow I wasn’t planning to until now, so thanks for the idea!
Is it rude to not say have a nice day?
Simply wishing someone well without any feeling behind it can actually come across as formulaic and empty. So no need to fret over ditching the false niceties! Here are some more meaningful alternatives:
- See you later!
- Take care!
- Be well!
- Stay safe!
The key is to truly mean whatever alternative farewell phrase you deploy instead of spouting meaningless courtesy cliches.
What’s the best comeback when someone tells you to have a blessed day?
If religious blessing farewells aren’t your style, push back politely with cheeky responses like:
- I’m blessed enough already, but thanks!
- I plan to enjoy my day regardless, but appreciate the sentiment.
- You as well!
- And you!
The comeback goal should be redirecting the blessing back to them rather than sarcastically shutting it down unless they were actively preaching at you in an offensive manner.
At the end of the day, how you choose to react when someone generically tells you to enjoy your day is up to you. Whether you prefer to surprise with witty banter, flash some charm, stick to polite basics, or ignore empty pleasantries is a personal choice. But hopefully this arsenal of ideas for upping the originality and fun factor in your replies will help switch things up next time someone dutifully delivers the standard “have a nice day” farewell your way!